- Category: Pastas
- Written by chefoz
Traditional Italian meat sauce.
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1. In a large skillet, brown beef over medium heat until no longer pink; set aside.
2. In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat and saute onions and garlic until tender; add about 1/2 cup of wine; mix well.
3. Add mushrooms, rosemary, oregano and thyme to skillet and add another 1/2 cup wine; saute until tender.
4. Add browned meat, tomato sauce and tomato paste to mixture; simmer for 1 hour and add the remaining 2 cups of wine.
4. Simmer sauce on low for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally; serve.